Is multiple sclerosis related to muscular dystrophy or arteriosclerosis?

Louis Rosner
Neurology
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is often confused with other diseases, most commonly muscular dystrophy (MD) and arteriosclerosis. Multiple sclerosis is not related to either. Muscular dystrophy is a disease of the muscles; arteriosclerosis is a disease that causes hardening of the arteries and blood circulation problems. Because MS is confined to the central nervous system, it has been confused with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is a disease of the nervous system, but it is very different from MS; it has no effect on the myelin sheath but destroys the motor neurons in the central nervous system that directly control muscles.
Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

How Can I Improve My Sexual Function with Multiple Sclerosis?
Multiple sclerosis can make it a challenge to have or enjoy sex—but there are ways to overcome these challenges. In this video, neurologist Charles Sm...
Is it better not to know if one has multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
The magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is helping doctors zero in on more definite multiple sclerosis ...
7 Things a Neurologist Wants You to Know About Multiple Sclerosis
7 Things a Neurologist Wants You to Know About Multiple Sclerosis7 Things a Neurologist Wants You to Know About Multiple Sclerosis7 Things a Neurologist Wants You to Know About Multiple Sclerosis7 Things a Neurologist Wants You to Know About Multiple Sclerosis
Bust the myths—and get the truth—about MS.
Is Depression a Common Symptom or Co-Condition of Multiple Sclerosis?