Is it safe to take Ayurveda herbs if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Herbal supplements are an important facet of Ayurveda (alternative medical system), but should be used with caution if you have multiple sclerosis (MS). "Scientific studies indicate that some Ayurvedic supplements influence the immune system," Dr. Allen C. Bowling, M.D., Ph.D., Medical Director of the Rocky Mountain MS Center, asserts "These preparations could theoretically be harmful to people with MS; clinical studies are needed to determine if they are in fact dangerous." Ayurvedic practitioners in the U.S. are not licensed. Nevertheless, physicians, chiropractors and nutritionists often practice Ayurvedic methods.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Get Moving with an Online MS Fitness Program
When it comes to multiple sclerosis (MS), one of the best ways to fend off disability is to stay active while you can. But finding the energy to get r...
Will I still be able to walk if I develop multiple sclerosis?
Angela Mark, MDAngela Mark, MD
The vast majority of patients with multiple sclerosis retain the ability to walk.
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Restore energy and help ease symptoms with these eats.
Can Exercise and a Healthy Diet Help Treat Multiple Sclerosis (MS)?