How can I increase my lifestyle physical activity if I have MS?

While managing the consequences of illness, lifestyle physical activity represents a new approach for improving the health and wellness of persons with multiple sclerosis (MS). A reduction in sedentary behavior might further be a new method for managing MS and its consequences. It is to your advantage to choose a new approach for health and wellness, starting by moving more and sitting less.

There are many simple options. If you are ambulatory, you might consider standing while watching TV or walking around the house while talking on the phone. You might consider taking five­minute walk breaks every hour while working or during the day on weekends. You could walk around the outside aisles of the grocery store before and after shopping. You could document the effects of these lifestyle changes using a pedometer along with self­monitoring and goal setting. For those with limited mobility, there are other options. The only limitation for increasing lifestyle physical activity is your imagination.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Can a Healthy Diet Help You Manage MS?
Can a Healthy Diet Help You Manage MS?
For patients managing multiple sclerosis, adopting long-term, healthy lifestyle behaviors may help manage symptoms and improve quality of life. One of...
If I love a person with MS, should I marry that person?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Although all the people indirectly involved with multiple sclerosis (MS) have many emotional issues ...
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Restore energy and help ease symptoms with these eats.
Corinne Goldsmith Dickinson Center for Multiple Sclerosis