How is sexual dysfunction from multiples sclerosis (MS) diagnosed?

Diagnosis of sexual dysfunction is usually based upon self-reports of the person with multiple sclerosis (MS) or the sexual partner. Determining the etiology, or cause, of the dysfunction, and whether it stems from primary (MS-related changes in the brain and spinal cord that affect the sexual response), secondary (MS-related symptoms that do not directly involve nerve pathways to the genital system, but nevertheless impair sexual pleasure), and/or tertiary (disability-related psychosocial and cultural issues that can interfere with one's sexual feelings and experiences) sources, requires medical assessment by a health care professional knowledgeable about MS and sexual function. The diagnostic process may include a physical and neurological exam, sexual history interview, and review of all prescribed medications. Screening for depression and other contributing tertiary factors may be done. Occasionally, additional medical tests may be given. Proper assessment of the contributing factors to the problem sets the stage for effective clinical management. Valid self-reports of sexual function, such as the Multiple Sclerosis Intimacy and Sexuality Questionnaire-19 (MSISQ-19), can be very helpful to both the person with MS and their health care team.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

The Role of Lesions in MS
The Role of Lesions in MS
Multiple sclerosis, or MS, is a disease of the central nervous system characterized by damaged areas of the brain, called lesions or plaques. In this ...
How can I make sure I eat and drink enough if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
The human body requires regular feedings, and this is particularly important for people with multipl...
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Restore energy and help ease symptoms with these eats.
What Is the Prevalence of Multiple Sclerosis?