How do I react if my loved one has not told me about their MS earlier?

Louis Rosner
Neurology

Instead of getting angry that you weren't told sooner, ask yourself why you were told now. Does the person need your help or support at the moment? Was he or she trying to protect you before? Has your life situation changed so that he or she feels the timing is more appropriate for you now? Did the person need time to deal with it alone before involving you? Has your relationship bonded into something more meaningful than before? Was he or she afraid of rejection? There are many answers to "why now?" The odds are that the one you'll hear will at least be understandable.

Finally, if you think about it, you should take comfort in the fact that you had no idea your loved one had multiple sclerosis (MS). This means that the disability is not visible and he or she has chosen not to make MS the focus of life. You now share a private secret. Learn about it, talk about it, but don't dwell on it.

Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Brain Scans Show MS-Related Depression
Brain Scans Show MS-Related Depression
Blurry vision, numbness, painful muscle spasms: These are the hallmark signs of multiple sclerosis (MS). But the neurological disease doesn't just rav...
Is multiple sclerosis (MS) related to celiac disease (CD)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Neuropathic Celiac Disease (CD), a result of gluten intolerance that manifests as central nervous sy...
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Restore energy and help ease symptoms with these eats.
What Type of Multiple Sclerosis Does Richard Cohen Have?