How can I make sure I eat and drink enough if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?

The human body requires regular feedings, and this is particularly important for people with multiple sclerosis (MS). Here are some tips to make sure you eat enough during the day:

• A healthy breakfast is critical and provides you with energy throughout the whole day.
  • Healthy snacks during the day help generate energy. Also, when at work, use your snack times as “micro breaks” to recharge a bit.
  • Drink plenty of fresh water as well. It helps to cleanse the body. A good rule of thumb is to drink about 8 to 10 eight-ounce glasses of water each day. If you are unsure you are drinking enough, check your urine color. It should be a pale-yellow, or straw-colored. If your urine is a dark color, it is a sign that you may not be drinking enough.
  • Give yourself an energy boost by avoiding the quick sugary fix. It’s false energy, and in the long term, you will feel worse.
  • As tempting as they may be, avoid energy drinks. These drinks give you a quick five­minute boost, but will leave you drained for a long time afterwards.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

What Should My Care Partner Know About RRMS?
Being diagnosed with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis, or RRMS, can affect your entire family. In this video, Mitzi Joi Williams, MD, explains t...
How bad can a disability from multiple sclerosis (MS) be?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
No doctor can really say. It depends totally on how the symptoms affect the individual. If adjustmen...
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Restore energy and help ease symptoms with these eats.
Has it Been Difficult to Stay Determined with Multiple Sclerosis?