How can I make sure I eat and drink enough if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?

The human body requires regular feedings, and this is particularly important for people with multiple sclerosis (MS). Here are some tips to make sure you eat enough during the day:

• A healthy breakfast is critical and provides you with energy throughout the whole day.
  • Healthy snacks during the day help generate energy. Also, when at work, use your snack times as “micro breaks” to recharge a bit.
  • Drink plenty of fresh water as well. It helps to cleanse the body. A good rule of thumb is to drink about 8 to 10 eight-ounce glasses of water each day. If you are unsure you are drinking enough, check your urine color. It should be a pale-yellow, or straw-colored. If your urine is a dark color, it is a sign that you may not be drinking enough.
  • Give yourself an energy boost by avoiding the quick sugary fix. It’s false energy, and in the long term, you will feel worse.
  • As tempting as they may be, avoid energy drinks. These drinks give you a quick five­minute boost, but will leave you drained for a long time afterwards.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Ask the Experts: Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms
Multiple sclerosis is a disease that affects the central nervous system. In this video, Barbara Ficarra, RN, a Sharecare Medical Advisor, reveals some...
Can multiple sclerosis lead to any other health issues?
There are some health issues you should be aware of if you or someone you know suffers from multiple...
7 Things a Neurologist Wants You to Know About Multiple Sclerosis
7 Things a Neurologist Wants You to Know About Multiple Sclerosis7 Things a Neurologist Wants You to Know About Multiple Sclerosis7 Things a Neurologist Wants You to Know About Multiple Sclerosis7 Things a Neurologist Wants You to Know About Multiple Sclerosis
Bust the myths—and get the truth—about MS.
What New Drug Therapies Treat Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?