How can I best communicate with someone who has a speech problem due to MS?

Here are some tips to help you become a better listener to someone with a speech problem:

1) Don't raise your voice. This isn't related to hearing.

2) Be patient and pay close attention. Reduce distractions in the room such as a radio or television.

3) Ask questions that can be answered simply or with a "yes" or a "no" if you notice the speaker struggling or consider taking a break from a long conversation. Speech difficulties can worsen when muscles are tired.

4) Repeat back important pieces of information to avoid miscommunication.

5) Be honest. Politely let the speaker know if you don't understand.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

What Can I Expect If I Have Just Been Diagnosed With MS?
Provided they follow the appropriate treatment, many people who are newly diagnosed with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis can expect a long life...
What are the different courses of multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Because the natural course of multiple sclerosis (MS) is highly variable, it is impossible to predic...
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Restore energy and help ease symptoms with these eats.
What Is the Course of Multiple Sclerosis (MS)?