Can I donate blood if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?

In the past, the American Red Cross restricted blood donations from people with various autoimmune conditions, like multiple sclerosis (MS). Those guidelines are no longer in place. MS is not contagious or transmissible from one person to another through blood products. Assuming your MS is stable, I suspect your neurologist would have no reservations about providing you with a letter clearing you to donate.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

Treatment for Progressive MS
Treatment for Progressive MS
Many patients who are diagnosed with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis—the most common type of MS—will eventually be diagnosed with secondary-pro...
Is multiple sclerosis (MS) a metabolic disease?
Darshan N. Shah, MDDarshan N. Shah, MD
A metabolic disease is one in which there is a disruption in the way our body uses sugars, fats, and...
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Restore energy and help ease symptoms with these eats.
What Recent Advances Have Been Made in Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Research?