Advertisement

Will I still be able to walk if I develop multiple sclerosis?

The vast majority of patients with multiple sclerosis retain the ability to walk.

In most cases, you will not lose the ability to walk if you suffer from multiple sclerosis. The lost of mobility is a severe symptom of the disease. Roughly 25 percent of those with multiple sclerosis end up in a wheelchair. That means the other 75 percent continue walking, or get by through the use aids such as a walker or cane.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

The Role of Lesions in MS
The Role of Lesions in MS
Multiple sclerosis, or MS, is a disease of the central nervous system characterized by damaged areas of the brain, called lesions or plaques. In this ...
Read More
How can I make sure I eat and drink enough if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
The human body requires regular feedings, and this is particularly important for people with multipl...
More Answers
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Best (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple SclerosisBest (and Worst) Foods for Multiple Sclerosis
Restore energy and help ease symptoms with these eats.
Start Slideshow
When Did You First Think You Might Have Multiple Sclerosis?
When Did You First Think You Might Have Multiple Sclerosis?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.