Will I be able to cope with a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Dr. Louis Rosner
Neurologist

Often the people who cope best with a multiple sclerosis (MS) diagnosis are those who have doctors who can cope with it. Even today, many doctors who are uncomfortable with the diagnosis will use vague or obscure euphemisms such as "inflammation of the nervous system," "a disease of myelin," or "a neurological problem that may come and go." This can keep patients in limbo. In general, it is best that the patient be told, without hesitation, "Your diagnosis is multiple sclerosis. Let me explain what that means."

Because the best-informed patient is the one who will fare best, no one should be afraid to go to another neurologist for a second opinion. And no one should be too embarrassed to ask the first doctor to forward test results and records. A good neurologist will understand and even encourage this. Those who don't know of any other neurologist can ask their family physicians to recommend one or call their local branch of the American Medical Association or National Multiple Sclerosis Society and ask for the names of a few board-certified neurologists. Medical schools or teaching hospitals can be of help, too. After the disclosure, the next step is getting good information about multiple sclerosis (MS).

Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Diagnosis

Getting an MS Diagnosis
Getting an MS Diagnosis
Being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis can be overwhelming. In this video, MS patient Eliz Martin shares the story of her diagnosis, how she stays co...
Should I stop working if I've been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Approximately 60% of individuals with multiple sclerosis (MS) are working when they receive the diag...
How can I lessen the shock of MRI diagnosis of multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Although the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is new to doctors and patients of this multiple sclero...
What Is the Focus of Research for Multiple Sclerosis?