How can I lessen the shock of MRI diagnosis of multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Louis Rosner
Neurology

Although the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is new to doctors and patients of this multiple sclerosis (MS) generation, it is not a bad trade-off. This shock is still better than suffering through the strain of not knowing what is causing the symptoms or thinking that one is crazy. The shock may now last longer, but it won't last forever. It just has to take its own natural course. One way of lessening the shock is to learn as much as possible about MS as quickly as possible. Reading good literature will help diminish the fear and preconceived ideas about MS.

Unfortunately, much of the material available is either dated or gloomier than necessary - books and articles picturing people with MS in wheelchairs and such. Be aware that much of the available information is lopsided and often overly dramatic or "inspirational."

The patient must also be cautious of selective listening or reading. This is where your own personality type may come into play. The "Pollyanna" may choose to retain only the most optimistic of statements and will be convinced that he or she is among the percentage of benign cases never to have a second attack. You can hope or pray that's your case, but convincing yourself you'll be that lucky will only set you up for a more dangerous emotional upheaval with the onset of a new sign or symptom. On the other hand, the "Skeptic" only remembers the worst cases written up in academic textbooks. This is just as bad. The person who is sure something horrible is going to happen will diminish his or her quality of life long before any aspect of MS will.

The only way to work toward acceptance and face the emotional challenge of MS is to learn what may or may not happen and then believe that you will be able to face future challenges if and when they happen.

Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Diagnosis

Getting an MS Diagnosis
Getting an MS Diagnosis
Being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis can be overwhelming. In this video, MS patient Eliz Martin shares the story of her diagnosis, how she stays co...
When will my doctor inform me if I probably have multiple sclerosis?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
For many, a positive (and accurate) multiple sclerosis (MS) diagnosis comes as a relief after weeks,...
Should I stop working if I've been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Approximately 60% of individuals with multiple sclerosis (MS) are working when they receive the diag...
How Can I Improve My Sexual Function with Multiple Sclerosis?