How often is benign multiple sclerosis wrongly diagnosed?

Doctors are being much more careful to diagnose benign multiple sclerosis (MS) in light of new findings that suggest nearly half of all cases have been wrongly identified in the past. It used to be common practice to diagnose benign MS after an MS patient had gone 15 years without developing any severe disability. However, many of those diagnosed with benign MS eventually did develop a disability later in life as a result of their condition. We know now that only about 15 to 20 percent of those diagnosed with MS have what is known as benign MS, which is characterized by mild symptoms and very little if any disability.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Diagnosis

5 Ways to Take Control After Being Diagnosed With MS
A multiple sclerosis (MS) diagnosis can be overwhelming. Alternatively, it may come as a relief to finally get a definitive diagnosis and understand w...
How can I lessen the shock of MRI diagnosis of multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Although the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is new to doctors and patients of this multiple sclero...
How can I tell if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
A true revolution has occurred in the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis (MS) with the widespread use o...
Is There a Genetic Component to Multiple Sclerosis?