What increases my risk for multiple sclerosis (MS)?

According to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, more than 2.1 million people have multiple sclerosis (MS) around the world. The average person (someone who does not have a family history of MS or other risk factors) has about a 1 in 750 chance of developing MS; however, it affects around twice as many women as men. There is currently no cure.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Although no one is considered immune, factors such as gender, geography, ethnicity, family history and age can all affect your likelihood of developing multiple sclerosis (MS). Here is a list of risk factors associated with MS:

• Caucasians of northern European decent are more likely to develop the disease than other ethnicities.
  • Men are less likely to have MS than women.
  • Warmer climates have less recorded instances of MS than cooler ones.
  • While MS is not passed directly down through families, you are more likely to develop it if a relative has it.
  • The common window for development and diagnosis is between the ages of 20 and 40.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Causes & Risk Factors

Can lack of vitamin D in childhood cause multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Researchers from the University of Toronto have continued studying the role vitamin D plays in multi...
What are the chances of my child getting multiple sclerosis if I have it?
The risk of your child developing multiple sclerosis (MS), although higher than the general populati...
What Is Multiple Sclerosis?
What Is Multiple Sclerosis?
Why Does Multiple Sclerosis Affect Sexual Function?