What increases my risk for primary-progressive multiple sclerosis?

There are no factors that put you specifically at risk for developing the form of multiple sclerosis (MS) known as primary-progressive multiple sclerosis (PPMS), but it typically develops later in life than other forms of the disease. However, there are several factors such as gender, geography, ethnicity, and family history that can all affect your likelihood of developing multiple sclerosis (MS) in general. Here is a list of risk factors associated with MS:

• Caucasians of northern European decent are more likely to develop the disease than other ethnicities.
  • Men are less likely to have MS than women.
  • Warmer climates have less recorded instances of MS than cooler ones.
  • While MS is not passed directly down through families, you are more likely to develop it if a relative has it.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Causes & Risk Factors

Can life events affect the course of multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
While there is no good evidence that daily stress or trauma affects the course of multiple sclerosis...
Can aspartame cause multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
For years, Internet postings have suggested that aspartame (or NutraSweet) can cause multiple sclero...
What Can I Do to Sleep Better?
What Can I Do to Sleep Better?
Can Lifestyle Changes Improve Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?