Is multiple sclerosis (MS) caused due to tumors or trauma?

Louis Rosner
Neurology

Tumors have never been found to cause demyelination and therefore have never been suspected of causing multiple sclerosis (MS).

At one time, trauma, or injury, was thought to be the cause of MS. This was based on anecdotal accounts, not scientific evidence. Doctors still see many cases in which a patient has a minor injury, such as stubbing a toe in the middle of the night, and wakes up the next morning with numbness in the entire leg. But since this happens on very rare occasions, scientists consider trauma to be a precipitator of an MS attack rather than a cause of the disease.

Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Causes & Risk Factors

What are risk factors for multiple sclerosis (MS) in African Americans?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
The high incidence of multiple sclerosis (MS) in African Americans may partially be due to environme...
Is too much sexual activity an overexertion for someone with MS?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Many people with multiple sclerosis (MS) want to know if too much sexual activity is considered over...
How Can Exercise Help Me Manage Multiple Sclerosis?
Does Knowing the Type of MS I Have Affect My Treatment?