How can being in poor health affect my multiple sclerosis (MS) diagnosis?

Recent research sponsored by the Consortium of MS Centers, National Institutes of Health, and other government agencies, showed being in poor health complicated getting an MS diagnosis. It found that people who had pre-existing health problems, such as mental illness or obesity, experienced a delay of anywhere from one to 10 years in being diagnosed with MS. The study, which looked at the medical records of 8,983 people, found the more medical problems a person had, the more progressed their MS was at the time of diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Causes & Risk Factors

What are risk factors for multiple sclerosis (MS) in African Americans?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
The high incidence of multiple sclerosis (MS) in African Americans may partially be due to environme...
How does low vitamin D cause multiple sclerosis?
Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection is probably not the sole cause for this complex disease and it is...
What Role Does Stress play in Multiple Sclerosis?
What Do My Eyes Reveal About My Multiple Sclerosis?