Can life events affect the course of multiple sclerosis (MS)?

While there is no good evidence that daily stress or trauma affects the course of multiple sclerosis (MS), there is data on the influence of pregnancy. Since MS generally strikes during childbearing years, a common concern among women with the disease is whether or not to have a baby. Studies on the subject have shown that MS has no adverse effects on the course of pregnancy, labor, or delivery; in fact, symptoms often stabilize or remit during pregnancy. This temporary improvement is thought to relate to changes in a woman's immune system that allow her body to carry a baby: because every fetus has genetic material from the father as well as the mother, the mother's body should identify the growing fetus as foreign tissue and try to reject it in much the same way the body seeks to reject a transplanted organ. To prevent this from happening, a natural process takes place to suppress the mother's immune system in the uterus during pregnancy.

However, women with MS who are considering pregnancy need to be aware that certain drugs used to treat MS should be avoided during pregnancy and while breast-feeding. These drugs can cause birth defects and can be passed to the fetus via blood and to an infant via breast milk. Among these drugs are prednisone, corticotropin, azathioprine, cyclophosphamide, diazepam, phenytoin, carbamazepine, and baclofen.

Unfortunately, between 20 and 40 percent of women with MS do have a relapse in the three months following delivery. However, there is no evidence that pregnancy and childbirth affect the overall course of the disease one way or the other. Also, while MS is not in itself a reason to avoid pregnancy and poses no significant risks to the fetus, physical limitations can make child care more difficult. It is therefore important that MS patients planning families discuss these issues with both their partners and their physicians.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Causes & Risk Factors

How can being in poor health affect my multiple sclerosis (MS) diagnosis?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Recent research sponsored by the Consortium of MS Centers, National Institutes of Health, and other ...
What are the chances of my child getting multiple sclerosis if I have it?
The risk of your child developing multiple sclerosis (MS), although higher than the general populati...
What Lifestyle Factors Influence Multiple Sclerosis?
Why Should I Avoid Caffeine if I Have Multiple Sclerosis?