Can lack of vitamin D in childhood cause multiple sclerosis (MS)?

Researchers from the University of Toronto have continued studying the role vitamin D plays in multiple sclerosis (MS), finding that children with low levels could be at a higher risk of developing the condition.

They looked at a biomarker for vitamin D in young people who had a demyelinating event and were later diagnosed with MS. The researchers found such children often had significantly lower levels of the vitamin than those not diagnosed with MS.

Exposure to sunlight produces vitamin D in the body, which coalesces with the fact that MS is more commonly found in countries further away from the equator. The vitamin also is found in foods and can be taken as a dietary supplement.

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Causes & Risk Factors

Does multiple sclerosis (MS) affect men and women equally?
Louis RosnerLouis Rosner
Surveys of patients all over the world show that more women than men get multiple sclerosis (MS). Tw...
How can being in poor health affect my multiple sclerosis (MS) diagnosis?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
Recent research sponsored by the Consortium of MS Centers, National Institutes of Health, and other ...
Why Should I Avoid Caffeine if I Have Multiple Sclerosis?
How is Stress Linked to Multiple Sclerosis?