Can multiple sclerosis (MS) be caused by an injury?

Louis Rosner
Neurology
The exact relationship of injuries to onset of multiple sclerosis (MS) has long been debated. The patient will naturally try to relate onset to a definable incident. Many case studies are very convincing - injuries are dramatic events that will easily be remembered by patients - but they are not truly valid statistical evidence. McAlpine believed, "Trauma to a limb or any part of the body, slight or severe, including operations, may occasionally precipitate the disease in a predisposed person or cause a relapse."

In a 1972 study of 250 MS patients, McAlpine's researchers found that 14 percent had an injury within three months prior to onset. In a parallel study of 250 patients with other diseases, only 5.4 percent had an injury within three months prior to onset. Although the studies showed a significant difference, most authorities do not believe that injury actually causes MS. It is more likely that injury brings out symptoms of an existing lesion that was previously silent.

Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis

Too often, multiple sclerosis is thought of only as "the crippler of young adults." But in fact, 75 percent of all people with MS will never need a wheelchair. In Multiple Sclerosis, Dr. Louis J....

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Causes & Risk Factors

What are risk factors for multiple sclerosis (MS) in African Americans?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
The high incidence of multiple sclerosis (MS) in African Americans may partially be due to environme...
What are the chances of my child getting multiple sclerosis if I have it?
The risk of your child developing multiple sclerosis (MS), although higher than the general populati...
Will I Die from Multiple Sclerosis?
Will I Die from Multiple Sclerosis?
How Can My Diet Worsen Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms?