Can drinking milk during pregnancy help reduce my baby's risk of MS?

A pregnant woman who drinks milk may help reduce her baby's chances of developing multiple sclerosis (MS), according to a study by researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston.

The study analyzed data supplied by mothers of nearly 36,000 nurses. The mothers completed a questionnaire about their experiences and diet during pregnancy. Of the nurses studied, 199 women developed MS during the 16-year study period. Researchers found that the risk of MS was lower among women born to mothers with high milk or dietary vitamin D intake in pregnancy.

"The risk of MS among daughters whose mothers consumed four glasses of milk per day was 56 percent lower than the daughters whose mothers consumed less than three glasses of milk per month," said Fariba Mirzaei, M.D., with the Harvard School of Public Health. "We also found the risk of MS among daughters whose mothers were in the top 20 percent of vitamin D intake during pregnancy was 45 percent lower than daughters whose mothers were in the bottom 20 percent for vitamin D intake during pregnancy."

Continue Learning about Multiple Sclerosis Causes & Risk Factors

How does smoking affect people with multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
People with multiple sclerosis (MS) who smoke appear to experience a more rapid progression of their...
Who is affected most by multiple sclerosis?
Dr. Darshan N. Shah, MDDr. Darshan N. Shah, MD
There are 400,000 people who suffer from Multiple Sclerosis (MS) in the United States; worldwide, 1....
Is There Anything I Can Do to Prevent Multiple Sclerosis?
What Is the Difference Between Relapsing-Remitting and Progressive MS?