What increases my risk of getting an MRSA infection?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
Fairly low: Studies show that approximately 32 people out of 100,000 contract this infection each year. The majority of MRSA infections occur in hospitals and other health-care settings, but about 14% occur in the community, with the highest risk of infection in people over 65.

People receiving treatment in a hospital or nursing home are most at risk for contracting methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Within the community, students who participate in sports or activities with lots of physical contact and people who live in very close quarters or without proper hygiene are at risk. Homosexual men also have an increased risk of contracting the condition.

Continue Learning about MRSA

How can I protect myself when caring for someone who has MRSA?
Hand washing is one of the most important things a person can do to prevent spread of any illness ca...
How do other illnesses affect MRSA?
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is most often spread through hospitals and ot...
Who Is Most at Risk for MRSA?
Who Is Most at Risk for MRSA?
How Is MRSA Transmitted?
How Is MRSA Transmitted?