Is MRSA, staph infection a reoccuring condition?

In some individuals MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) infections of the skin can reoccur. Usually these individuals are colonized with MRSA in their skin, meaning they can carry the bacteria in small amounts, and without even being sick from it, in places such as their nostrils, axilla, and other sites. From time to time, the bacteria can penetrate under the skin through small breaks in its integrity, multiply, and cause an infection such as a boil or abscess. Treatment of the infection is usually successful at eradicating the overgrowth of bacteria under the skin, but the patient can continue to be colonized with small numbers of organisms at the sites described above leading to repeated infections.

Continue Learning about MRSA

How can I protect myself when caring for someone who has MRSA?
Hand washing is one of the most important things a person can do to prevent spread of any illness ca...
When was methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) discovered?
General staph infections were first identified in the 1880s. At that point, the distinctive symptoms...
Don’t Let Childhood Cuts Turn into a MRSA Infection
Who Is Most at Risk for MRSA?
Who Is Most at Risk for MRSA?