If I have MRSA, can I breastfeed my baby?

Mother’s milk is the best food for babies. MRSA, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, does not spread through mother’s milk; it spreads on the skin. If you do not have an active infection on your breast, you can breastfeed your baby. If you have a sore or rash on just one breast, you can breastfeed from the other breast. You can pump milk to relieve pressure on an infected breast and to help maintain your milk supply.

Continue Learning about MRSA

How can I protect myself when caring for someone who has MRSA?
Hand washing is one of the most important things a person can do to prevent spread of any illness ca...
How is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) spread?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
In the hospital, MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, can spread from one person to...
Don’t Let Childhood Cuts Turn into a MRSA Infection
What Is MRSA?
What Is MRSA?