How is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) diagnosed?

If you're displaying the characteristic symptoms of a staph infection like methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), a doctor will want to take a sample of your tissue or of the fluids from your nose to confirm the diagnosis. Laboratory workers will test the sample for the tell-tale bacteria. Depending on the testing methods used, the diagnosis will be confirmed in a few hours or up to two days.

Continue Learning about MRSA

How do I manage methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus daily?
Like with any bacterial infection, it is important to manage your methicillin-resistant Staphylo...
How can my having MRSA affect my new baby while we are in the hospital?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you are colonized or infected with MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, health...
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?
How Is MRSA Transmitted?
How Is MRSA Transmitted?