How can I protect my child from MRSA?

Protecting your child from methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) requires many of the same precautions that you would apply to yourself. Make sure your child always keeps their hands and bodies clean, that they avoid sharing personal belongings, and that they always cover and protect open wounds. Further, if you child engages in a contact sport, they might be at heightened risk for MRSA. Always wash your child's sport clothes after any practice, games, or competitions. Advise your child to avoid excessive personal contact with teammates, and to always keep clothing or a towel between their body and any exercise equipment they use.

MRSA -- the dangerous, antibiotic-resistant infection that's plagued hospitals for years -- is now multiplying in communities (where it's called CA-MRSA, CA for community-acquired). The number of children requiring hospital care due to MRSA, most community-acquired, has doubled since 2000.

MRSA bugs aren't rare. Actually, they're everywhere, especially in schools and gyms (and, oddly, on your nose). Mostly they don't cause trouble. But when MRSA bacteria get into open wounds, it's serious. Here's how to put the odds in your kids' favor (and yours):
  • Before you wash your child's cut and squirt on disinfectant, wash your own hands.
  • Keep open wounds clean and covered.
  • When your kid has a cut, stress the importance of good hygiene and frequent hand washing (including by practicing it).
  • If you notice growing redness, swelling, tenderness, warmth or pus, call your pediatrician. If it is MRSA, your doctor may prescribe an antibiotic, such as clindamycin or trimethoprim/sulfa (common brands: Bactrim, Septra).
  • Tell your kids not to share athletic gear and to clean gym machines with disinfectant wipes before and after using. You should do the same.

Continue Learning about MRSA

What will happen if I have MRSA and my baby is to be adopted?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, and the baby is to be adopted, ...
How can having MRSA affect my hospital care?
If it is shown that you have been colonized or infected with MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphy...
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?
Don’t Let Childhood Cuts Turn into a MRSA Infection