How do other illnesses affect MRSA?

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is most often spread through hospitals and other health-care facilities, like dialysis centers. So if you have an illness or condition that requires you to get dialysis or spend a long time in the hospital, your chances of getting MRSA are increased. Any condition that results in a break in the skin, including surgery, diabetes requiring insulin injections, or skin infections, increase your chances as well. Also, if you have an illness or condition that weakens your immune system, you're at a higher risk of getting MRSA, and will have a harder time getting rid of the infection.

Continue Learning about MRSA

If I have MRSA, does my baby's umbilical cord require any special care?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, your baby’s umbilical cord does ...
How is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) spread?
In the hospital, MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, can spread from one person to...
What Is MRSA?
What Is MRSA?
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?