How can my having MRSA affect my new baby while we are in the hospital?

If you are colonized or infected with MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, healthcare providers will also use “contact precautions” with your baby. This means:
  • All healthcare providers will wear clean gowns and gloves when working with your baby.
  • Your baby will stay with you in your room. If you are critically ill and have to stay in another section of the hospital, your baby will be kept in a private area and will visit you when it is safe to do so.
  • If your baby is in the nursery, he or she will be kept away from the other babies.
  • Your baby will be treated for MRSA only if your baby has an active infection, such as a rash, a wound, or another infection.

Continue Learning about MRSA

How can I protect myself when caring for someone who has MRSA?
Hand washing is one of the most important things a person can do to prevent spread of any illness ca...
What is a community-associated MRSA infection?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or MRSA is an infection, which is associated to be cause...
Don’t Let Childhood Cuts Turn into a MRSA Infection
Who Is Most at Risk for MRSA?
Who Is Most at Risk for MRSA?