How can my having MRSA affect my new baby while we are in the hospital?

If you are colonized or infected with MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, healthcare providers will also use “contact precautions” with your baby. This means:
  • All healthcare providers will wear clean gowns and gloves when working with your baby.
  • Your baby will stay with you in your room. If you are critically ill and have to stay in another section of the hospital, your baby will be kept in a private area and will visit you when it is safe to do so.
  • If your baby is in the nursery, he or she will be kept away from the other babies.
  • Your baby will be treated for MRSA only if your baby has an active infection, such as a rash, a wound, or another infection.

Continue Learning about MRSA

How do other illnesses affect MRSA?
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is most often spread through hospitals and ot...
How do I manage methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus daily?
Like with any bacterial infection, it is important to manage your methicillin-resistant Staphylo...
How Is MRSA Transmitted?
How Is MRSA Transmitted?
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?