How can MRSA affect me and my new baby?

MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, germs can affect you in two ways:
  • Active infection means the germ is multiplying and causing an illness or a skin sore. A skin sore may look like a red bump or a cluster of bumps.
  • Colonization means the germs are on your skin or in your nose but not causing any symptoms or active infection.
Either way, the germ can be transferred from you to another person. It could then cause an infection in another person. If you’re a new mother, healthcare workers will take extra precautions with both you and your baby.

If you have MRSA, you’ll be given special care to help keep the germs from spreading from you to other patients and babies.

Continue Learning about MRSA

How do I manage methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus daily?
Like with any bacterial infection, it is important to manage your methicillin-resistant Staphylo...
How do medications treat methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus?
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is known for being resistant to antibiotics, but ...
How Is MRSA Transmitted?
How Is MRSA Transmitted?
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?
Why Is It so Difficult to Treat MRSA?