How can MRSA affect me and my new baby?

MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, germs can affect you in two ways:
  • Active infection means the germ is multiplying and causing an illness or a skin sore. A skin sore may look like a red bump or a cluster of bumps.
  • Colonization means the germs are on your skin or in your nose but not causing any symptoms or active infection.
Either way, the germ can be transferred from you to another person. It could then cause an infection in another person. If you’re a new mother, healthcare workers will take extra precautions with both you and your baby.

If you have MRSA, you’ll be given special care to help keep the germs from spreading from you to other patients and babies.

Continue Learning about MRSA

How is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) spread?
There are two types of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Health-care Associated MR...
What is a community-associated MRSA infection?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or MRSA is an infection, which is associated to be cause...
How Is MRSA Transmitted?
How Is MRSA Transmitted?
Don’t Let Childhood Cuts Turn into a MRSA Infection