How is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) treated?

Staph infections are usually treated with antibiotics. Some Staph infections, however, are resistant to the antibiotics usually used. This means the antibiotics don’t kill the germs. MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, is a type of Staph that is resistant to the antibiotics most often used to treat Staph infections.

There are specific antibiotics that can kill MRSA germs. Some patients with MRSA infections may need surgery to drain the sores. Your healthcare providers will decide which treatments are best for you. You will be treated for MRSA only if you have an active infection, such as a wound, a rash or a blood infection.

Treating is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) can be tricky, since the distinctive quality about MRSA is its resistance to antibiotic treatment. The first thing doctors do is try to figure out which antibiotics your particular strain of MRSA is resistant to. Once they find out which antibiotics might serve as an effective treatment, MRSA is treated like most other staph infections. You may be given antibiotics in one or more of a few different forms: topical ointment, orally-taken pills, or intravenous treatment. Surgery may be necessary if the infection has gone deep into your body, and if you have pus-filled blisters or wounds, they may be drained as part of your treatment.

Continue Learning about MRSA

How can my having MRSA affect my new baby while we are in the hospital?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you are colonized or infected with MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, health...
If I have MRSA, does my baby's umbilical cord require any special care?
If you have MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, your baby’s umbilical cord does ...
What Is MRSA?
What Is MRSA?
Who Is Most at Risk for MRSA?
Who Is Most at Risk for MRSA?