Why can't I have any metal on my body during an MRI?

MRIs work by using very strong magnets and some metals can interfere with the magnets, making the images blurry. Your radiographer will check to make sure that you don’t have any metal on your body, or inside your body. Glasses, coins and cell phones will also have to be removed.

Continue Learning about Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)

How does the magnet in an MRI work to produce an image?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The human body is made up of billions of atoms, which are the fundamental building blocks of all mat...
Why might I need a head MRI scan?
Kathleen B. Mullin, MDKathleen B. Mullin, MD
Most patients who suffer from headaches do not need an MRI. For example, if a young patient presents...
How strong is the magnet in an MRI?
Angela Mark, MDAngela Mark, MD
Most MRI machines in today's hospitals are 1.5 or 3 Tesla. There are also 7 Tesla magnets used in ma...
What to Expect From an MRI
What to Expect From an MRI