When is magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) used in prostate screening?

Marc B. Garnick, MD
Hematology & Oncology
The magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) exam is not used for routine prostate screening, but it can be helpful in certain situations. For example, if the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) -- proteins made by cells in the prostate -- continues to rise but a biopsy doesn't detect cancer, MRI may pinpoint a suspicious area for a more targeted biopsy. It can also help show tumors in the front of the prostate, the size and stage of a tumor, and whether it has spread beyond the gland. If cancer is diagnosed, MRI may offer guidance about where to target radiation therapy.

Continue Learning about Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)

What are alternatives to cardiac stress magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Alternatives to cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) depend on your situation and the inform...
Can I have an MRI if I've been treated for prostate cancer?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Men who have been treated for prostate cancer, even with only hormones, must be aware that hormone a...
How does magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) work?
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans take pictures of the unseen and make them visible. How? An MR...
What to Expect From an MRI
What to Expect From an MRI