What do I need to know about MRI scans for my baby in the NICU?

MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) uses a large magnet, radio frequencies, and a computer to create highly detailed images of internal organs and structures. Because a baby must stay completely still during an MRI study in the NICU, sedative medication is sometimes given.

Continue Learning about Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)

What does a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanner look and sound like?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanners look like long doughnut-shaped machines. The scanner makes...
How strong is the magnet in an MRI?
Angela Mark, MDAngela Mark, MD
Most MRI machines in today's hospitals are 1.5 or 3 Tesla. There are also 7 Tesla magnets used in ma...
Why do doctors use magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The only way to see inside a human body better that with an MRI is to cut it open. MRIs are ideal fo...
What to Expect From an MRI
What to Expect From an MRI