Is magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) safe during pregnancy?

Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
X-rays and CT scans should be avoided in women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. Women who are pregnant should talk to their doctor before having an magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). There is no clear risk of MRI for pregnancy, but many doctors as well as many patients prefer to play it safe and not use MRI until after pregnancy.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)

Are there drawbacks to MRI scans?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
MRI scans are ideal for diagnosing and evaluating many conditions, but they do have drawbacks. For e...
Can I have an MRI if I've been treated for prostate cancer?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Men who have been treated for prostate cancer, even with only hormones, must be aware that hormone a...
How strong is the magnet in an MRI?
Angela Mark, MDAngela Mark, MD
Most MRI machines in today's hospitals are 1.5 or 3 Tesla. There are also 7 Tesla magnets used in ma...
What to Expect From an MRI
What to Expect From an MRI