Is magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) safe?

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is safe, and having an MRI won’t make you feel unwell. The radiographer will keep talking on a speaker during the MRI to check you are okay. Sometimes you can watch movies or listen to music to relax. At times medicine can also be given to help you relax, or a general anesthetic can be given to put you to sleep.

Continue Learning about Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)

What should I expect during magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
During the magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) examination, which takes an average of 30 minutes, a "kn...
Why do I need to stay still during an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
It’s very important to stay still during an MRI or the picture will be blurry. There will be time to...
How strong is the magnet in an MRI?
Angela Mark, MDAngela Mark, MD
Most MRI machines in today's hospitals are 1.5 or 3 Tesla. There are also 7 Tesla magnets used in ma...
What to Expect From an MRI
What to Expect From an MRI