What should I expect after cardiac magnetic resonance imaging?

After the cardiac stress magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) test is finished:
  • You'll have an electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) test to check your heart rhythm. This is a painless test that takes 5 to 10 minutes.
  • The arm cuff, finger clip, electrodes, and intravenous (IV) line will be removed.
  • You can usually go home the same day.
  • You'll get the results of your test in a follow-up appointment with your doctor.
If you didn't take medicine to help you relax, you'll be able to return to your normal routine once the cardiac MRI is done.
If you did take medicine to help you relax during the test, your doctor will tell you when you can return to your normal routine. You'll need someone to drive you home.
This answer from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute has been reviewed and/or edited by Dr. William D. Knopf.

Continue Learning about Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)

Who can't have an MRI?
Regional Medical CenterRegional Medical Center
Patients with pacemakers and other metals in the body may not be MRI candidates—and anxiety may play...
How could a cardiac MRI scan help my doctor diagnose a cardiac condition?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
An MRI scan of your heart could, in theory, help your doctor decide if you are a good candidate ...
What are the risks of cardiac magnetic resonance imaging?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) produces no side effects from the magnetic fields and radio...
What to Expect From an MRI
What to Expect From an MRI