Can I get an MRI after placement of a deep brain stimulation system?

Nader Pouratian, MD
Neurosurgery
There are restrictions on MRIs after a deep brain stimulation system is placed. You can only get an MRI of your brain with a special system, so you need to go to a center that specializes in doing imaging after deep brain stimulator system placement. You don’t want to go to any radiology center, although most places are quite aware of the risk of MRI in implants and will know whether or not they can do those. So the short answer is, yes, you can get MRIs, but you can’t get all MRIs.

Continue Learning about Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)

Can I have an MRI if I've been treated for prostate cancer?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Men who have been treated for prostate cancer, even with only hormones, must be aware that hormone a...
How can magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) help diagnose stroke?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) uses a powerful magnetic field to take highly detailed pictures of ...
What should I expect after cardiac magnetic resonance imaging?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
If you didn't take medicine to help you relax, you'll be able to return to your normal routine once ...
What to Expect From an MRI
What to Expect From an MRI