Will puberty affect my oral health?

Research suggests that young women who experience changes in the hormones estrogen and progesterone may experience changes in their gums. This is especially true during puberty when these hormones are fluctuating. During puberty, young women may experience gum inflammation. As long as you are brushing, flossing, and visiting your dentist routinely, you may not have any higher risk of developing periodontal disease. Over time, you may find that the irritation and inflammation decreases as your body adjusts to these hormonal changes. Symptoms may return to some degree during your period.

Continue Learning about Mouth-Body Connection

How are the oral health effects from eating disorders treated?
The American Dental Association recommends immediate treatment to prevent teeth from breaking down e...
Do eating disorders affect oral health?
Vicki Berkus, MDVicki Berkus, MD
We frequently try to educate the dentists to look for the wearing away of enamel in patients that ar...
Can birth control pills affect my oral health?
Birth control pills, a medication that contains hormones, particularly progesterone, can promote inf...
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?