What can I expect from orthognathic surgery?

Dustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
Prior to getting the orthognathic surgery, patients are fitted with braces. The step of getting braces is important in making sure that the teeth will fit together properly after the surgery has been performed. During this phase, the teeth are being moved, and it may seem as though the bite is getting worse. For those who don’t want to have to wear metal braces, there are clear options that exist.

Recovery time is minimal, considering the amount of change that is taking place. Typically, people are able to go back to work and school a week after the surgery: however, they are usually advised not to work out or do any jogging for about three months following. There will also be a temporary shift in what the person eats, as orthognathic patients usually have to eat softer foods for the first few weeks to provide maximum comfort.

Continue Learning about Mouth-Body Connection

Does my dentist need to be told I have an eating disorder?
Your dentist should be told you an eating disorder. Eating disorders can cause widespread damage to ...
Who is a good candidate for orthognathic surgery?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Those who may be a good candidate for orthognathic surgery usually have misaligned jaws, bite pr...
What causes oral health problems?
Dr. Anita GuptaDr. Anita Gupta
Oral health problems are mainly caused by inadequate brushing and flossing techniques. The mouth con...
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?