Can obesity lead to oral health problems?

While obesity can trigger other health problems that impact oral health, it is more likely not eating a well-balanced diet that has the greatest impact.

Foods that contain sugars of any kind can contribute to tooth decay. To control the amount of sugar you eat, read the nutrition facts and ingredient labels on foods and beverages and choose options that are lowest in sugar. Common sources of sugar in the diet include soft drinks, candy, cookies and pastries.

Your physician or a registered dietitian can also provide suggestions for eating a nutritious diet. If your diet lacks certain nutrients, it may be more difficult for tissues in your mouth to resist infection. This may contribute to gum disease. Severe gum disease is a major cause of tooth loss in adults. Many researchers believe that the disease progresses faster and is potentially more severe in people with poor nutrition.
Some research has linked obesity with dental problems, including tooth decay and periodontal disease. It could be that too much sugar in the diet, including sugary soft drinks, and consuming fast foods high in fat are to blame. Vitamin levels, including calcium and vitamins C and D, might be decreased, increasing the risk of periodontal disease.

Continue Learning about Mouth-Body Connection

How does dental health affect overall health in the elderly?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
The connection between dental health and overall health can clearly be seen among the elderly. “Oral...
What can my teeth tell me about my health?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Your teeth are the window to your body and can actually say a lot about your overall health. It can ...
How does periodontitis increase head and neck cancer risk in women over 40?
Periodontitis, a form of gum disease characterized by inflammation, can increase the risk for some...
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?