How do I learn more about osteoporosis medications and oral health?

Some research suggests that certain osteoporosis drugs, called bisphosphonates, may lead to death of the jawbone (called osteonecrosis) after dental procedures. Although most cases of osteonecrosis are because of cancer and not bisphosphonate use, dental patients still need to be informed of the risks. The American Dental Association (ADA) and National Osteoporosis Foundation (NOF) are excellent sources for information about osteoporosis and oral health. They have created informative materials online and in print to help educate people interested in learning about those risks. But the ADA and NOF materials are not a substitute for discussing the matter with your dentist.

It’s important to let your dentist know about all the medications that you take. That’s because certain medications can influence dental treatment decisions. This includes oral health. Your dentist can discuss your oral health care needs and will factor this into his/her recommendations on any treatments or procedures. You should also discuss the medication with your physician or other healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Mouth-Body Connection

6 Surprising Reasons to Take Care of Your Gums
Your smile may reveal some important clues about your overall health. Research suggests that gum disease may be a risk factor for a variety of health ...
Are oral health problems life threatening?
Some oral health problems can have life-threatening effects, so it is important to take your oral he...
Does my dentist need to be told I have an eating disorder?
Your dentist should be told you an eating disorder. Eating disorders can cause widespread damage to ...
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?