How can dental problems indicate diseases elsewhere in the body?

David Wong, D.M.D., D.M.Sc., professor and associate dean of research at the UCLA School of Dentistry notes that systemic diseases such as HIV and osteoporosis are often first detected through symptoms in the mouth -- the appearance of hairy tongue and severe gum infection in the case of HIV and the first stages of bone loss for osteoporosis. Gum disease and other mouth infections can also contribute to problems elsewhere in the body. Gum disease has been linked in studies to a higher risk of heart disease and stroke, as well as premature birth. Poor oral health can also make diabetes more difficult to control.

Continue Learning about Mouth-Body Connection

Can gum disease lead to cancer?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
There is no conclusive research showing that gum disease causes cancer. Studies indicate that severe...
How is the health of my mouth connected to the rest of my body?
Oral health touches every aspect of our lives but is often taken for granted. Your mouth is a window...
Can not taking care of teeth lead to other health problems?
Philip M. Uffer, DDSPhilip M. Uffer, DDS
The mouth is the gateway to the rest of the body. Infections in the mouth can spread to the blood...
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?