Why do sex hormones estrogen or progesterone affect the gums and teeth?

Researchers don't know exactly how the hormones estrogen and progesterone affect gums. Although this relationship is not well understood, researchers have documented changes in gum sensitivity, inflammation, and a higher risk of periodontal disease during hormonal changes in a woman's life. These include puberty, menstruation, the use of birth control pills, pregnancy and childbirth, menopause, and trying to find the optimal dose of estrogen replacement. Good oral health care practices, routine dentist visits, and a good diet can help prevent any increased risk of periodontal disease from hormonal fluctuations. Some research suggests that estrogen supplements might slow the progression of periodontal disease.

Continue Learning about Mouth-Body Connection

6 Surprising Reasons to Take Care of Your Gums
Your smile may reveal some important clues about your overall health. Research suggests that gum disease may be a risk factor for a variety of health ...
How do I learn more about osteoporosis medications and oral health?
Some research suggests that certain osteoporosis drugs, called bisphosphonates, may lead to death of...
Can unhealthy gums affect my health?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
For some people, unhealthy gums can lead to gum disease, which has been linked to systemic diseases....
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?