Why are dentists helpful in discovering osteoporosis in women?

Dentists are helpful in recognizing brittle bones and osteoporosis in women because they see patients more frequently than doctors. Dental X-rays can be helpful in detecting osteoporosis. Dentists know what to look for, so they are in a good position to help find osteoporosis that may have gone undetected. Dentists are concerned about a number of problems that might accompany osteoporosis, such as loose teeth, detached or receding gums, and dentures that do not fit. These can be signs of lower bone density, which could lead to tooth loss or periodontal disease.

Continue Learning about Mouth-Body Connection

How is the health of my mouth connected to the rest of my body?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Oral health touches every aspect of our lives but is often taken for granted. Your mouth is a window...
Can birth control pills affect my oral health?
Birth control pills, a medication that contains hormones, particularly progesterone, can promote inf...
Can unhealthy gums affect my health?
For some people, unhealthy gums can lead to gum disease, which has been linked to systemic diseases....
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?