Can unhealthy gums affect my health?

For some people, unhealthy gums can lead to gum disease, which has been linked to systemic diseases. You can practice good oral hygiene by always brushing your teeth twice a day with an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste, cleaning between your teeth once a day with floss or another interdental cleaner, replacing your toothbrush every three or four months and by eating a balanced diet and limiting between-meal snacks.

Yes, unhealthy gums that are left untreated can progress to the more serious form of gum disease, periodontitis. Periodontitis increases the risk of infection developing in other parts of the body. Poor oral hygiene and periodontitis may be linked to pneumonia, as bacteria in the mouth may travel into the lungs, to cause infection or worsening of lung conditions. Chronic inflammation from periodontitis has also been associated with the development of cardiovascular problems, such as heart disease, blockages of blood vessels and clogged arteries, and strokes, as well as to premature birth, diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis. While these associations have been suggested, more research is needed to establish each of these relationships.

Continue Learning about Mouth-Body Connection

What can my teeth tell me about my health?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Your teeth are the window to your body and can actually say a lot about your overall health. It can ...
What is orthognathic surgery?
Dustin S. Burleson, DDSDustin S. Burleson, DDS
Orthognathic surgery is essentially corrective jaw surgery that is performed by an oral surgeon,...
How is osteoporosis diagnosed by dentists?
Dentists can discover bone loss in routine dental X-rays, but the disease should be confirmed by a p...
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?
Can Gum Disease Lead to Cancer?