Why is it so hard to follow a healthy diet?

More often than you’d think, the problem is that a lot of folks just don’t know what a healthy diet looks like -- and why should they, since the rules keep changing? Time was, red meat was healthful, and pasta was bad; then pasta was great, and red meat was terrible, all of which lasted until the Atkins craze came along and the rules flipped again.

There were the Mediterranean diet and the South Beach diet and the low-fat diet and the grapefruit diet and, yes, the cabbage-soup diet, and all of them promised great things. Red wine is the newest route to health, unless of course it’s dark chocolate -- or unless it turns out to be neither. With every cure, it seems, comes a problem; every new truth somehow turns out to be part myth.

The good news is that we now know so much more than we ever did about how food reacts in our bodies -- how specific molecules affect specific functions of specific cells. And with that comes new insight into healthy eating that is more than just conventional wisdom or gimmickry.

Mother & Daughter Cooking Vegetables

Continue Learning about Motivation and Weight Loss

3 Mindset Shifts That Boost Weight Loss
3 Mindset Shifts That Boost Weight Loss
Your brain can be your ally or foe when it comes to losing weight. Don’t let negative thinking prevent you from shedding those unwanted pounds. Tori C...
What is skinny thinking?
Laura Katleman-PrueLaura Katleman-Prue
Skinny thinking is not a diet; it's about creating a new relationship to food that automatically...
How can I motivate myself to lose weight?
Samantha Heller, RDSamantha Heller, RD
The biggest challenge in losing weight is staying motivated. In this video, weight loss expert and D...
How Can I Stay On the Right Track If I Am Obese?