Why is it so hard to follow a healthy diet?

More often than you’d think, the problem is that a lot of folks just don’t know what a healthy diet looks like -- and why should they, since the rules keep changing? Time was, red meat was healthful, and pasta was bad; then pasta was great, and red meat was terrible, all of which lasted until the Atkins craze came along and the rules flipped again.

There were the Mediterranean diet and the South Beach diet and the low-fat diet and the grapefruit diet and, yes, the cabbage-soup diet, and all of them promised great things. Red wine is the newest route to health, unless of course it’s dark chocolate -- or unless it turns out to be neither. With every cure, it seems, comes a problem; every new truth somehow turns out to be part myth.

The good news is that we now know so much more than we ever did about how food reacts in our bodies -- how specific molecules affect specific functions of specific cells. And with that comes new insight into healthy eating that is more than just conventional wisdom or gimmickry.

Mother & Daughter Cooking Vegetables

Continue Learning about Motivation and Weight Loss

How to Motivate Yourself for Weight Loss Success
When David Bowie penned Changes, he was commenting on how challenging change can be. And if you’re like most folks, you too have a hard time making ch...
How should I reward myself for weight loss success?
Manuel VillacortaManuel Villacorta
I believe it's very important to reward yourself when you're succeeding in a weight loss program -- ...
How can I stay motivated to keep weight off?
Abby EllinAbby Ellin
What I heard people saying over and over is that they keep a vivid picture in their minds of wha...
How Can I Consistently Stay Motivated to Lose Weight?