How should I reward myself for weight loss success?

Manuel Villacorta
I believe it's very important to reward yourself when you're succeeding in a weight loss program -- as long as you don't do it with food. Think about a massage, movies, a manicure, flowers, or a long bubble bath. And say to yourself, I'm buying these flowers because I earned them. For guys, I like the idea of buying a tie. I had a client who decided to buy a fancy bike when he lost fifty pounds -- such a great way to keep up his new healthy way of life.
Eating Free: The Carb-Friendly Way to Lose Inches, Embrace Your Hunger, and Keep Weight Off for Good

Eating Free reveals why the prevailing wisdom on weight loss--low-calorie, no carbs, high-intensity exercise--sharply clashes with the facts of human biology and human nature, setting dieters up for...
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
As you chart your progress, at the end of the day or week, or whenever you need a little boost, celebrate your success. Give yourself a mental pat on the back, do a little happy dance or do whatever you like to celebrate personal victory. Perhaps a little quiet time in the den with a good book or movie, or get a manicure or a massage. Do whatever it is that makes you feel good (other than Haagen Dazs or a bag of chips!). Treating yourself is part of the reward for right behavior on your march toward leading a healthier life.

This feeds into your brain's reward system and keeps the mental and spiritual energy flowing to keep you moving toward your goal. Also, share the success stories with friends, coworkers and family members. As they share in your joy, it will stoke your enthusiasm and propel you further along.

Continue Learning about Motivation and Weight Loss

Need Motivation to Lose Weight? Get Paid
Making a friendly bet could pay off big on your bathroom scale. So says a study in which dieters who were paid to lose weight dropped about 10 pounds...
Can money be used to motivate people to lose weight?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
Since the first season of The Biggest Loser, employees have gathered together to lose weight tog...
How can I motivate myself to lose weight?
Samantha Heller, RDSamantha Heller, RD
The biggest challenge in losing weight is staying motivated. In this video, weight loss expert and D...
How Can I Get Back on My Diet After a Slip-Up?