How can I get motivated to lose weight?

Becoming motivated to lose weight can be difficult, especially if you have tried to lose weight before and have struggled or regained the weight. The following are some tips to get you motivated:
  • Finding inspiration -- Think about what fits your thoughts about beginning a weight loss plan. Do you feel that the costs of making a change outweigh the benefits of weight loss? What if you consider that being overweight can cause serious health problems, including diabetes and heart disease? Studies have shown that losing weight by eating right and exercising can help prevent or delay these health problems. Losing weight can also reduce your risk of heart disease or stroke if you already have diabetes.
Your weight affects your lifestyle as well as your health. Ask yourself how being overweight or obese has affected your life. Does being overweight prevent you from doing things that you want to do or could do if you lost weight? Losing weight will help you look and feel better, and give you more energy to do the things you enjoy.
  • Taking action -- Once you are ready to take action, you are more likely to succeed if you develop a plan and set realistic goals. Your weight loss goals need to be specific and attainable. This means that they specifically outline what you intend to achieve and are well within your reach to accomplish. For example, a goal of "walk more" is a good idea, but it is not specific. A goal of "run ten miles a day" is specific, but not may not be attainable. A goal of "walk 30 minutes a day, five days a week" is not only specific, it is attainable.
  • Rewards -- Rewarding yourself for sticking to your weight loss program is an effective way to keep yourself motivated. Rewards need to be meaningful and realistic. Focus on giving yourself a reward for each step along the way. For example, reward yourself after sticking to the first week on your diet and exercise regimen by buying a new music CD or going to the movies. Bigger rewards, such as buying tickets to a concert or treating yourself to a vacation or a weekend trip, can be saved for reaching long-term goals.

Continue Learning about Motivation and Weight Loss

3 Mindset Shifts That Boost Weight Loss
3 Mindset Shifts That Boost Weight Loss
Your brain can be your ally or foe when it comes to losing weight. Don’t let negative thinking prevent you from shedding those unwanted pounds. Tori C...
As a Sharecare Transformer, how did you get social support for weight loss?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
I transformed my life 2 years ago on the DR OZ show after I faced the truth tube. I was 4 foot 10 in...
How should I reward myself for weight loss success?
Manuel VillacortaManuel Villacorta
I believe it's very important to reward yourself when you're succeeding in a weight loss program -- ...
How Can I Get Back on My Diet After a Slip-Up?