As a Sharecare Transformer, how did you get social support for weight loss?

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing

I transformed my life 2 years ago on the DR OZ show after I faced the truth tube. I was 4 foot 10 inches and 216 pounds with a waist size of 45 inches. My blood pressure was 165/110 and I had become prediabetic as well. I decided I could no longer take good care of my patients if I didn’t take care of myself. I learned to put myself first when it came to nutrition, stress management and sleep. To do this I had to have a lot of help. I had a great e-coach who read my daily food and exercise diary and made suggestions along the way. I picked several diet buddies to share recipes, grocery shopping tips, snack ideas and exercise hints along the way. As I began to get healthier I had more and more patients and coworkers ask me how I did it. I started by telling them that anyone could do it with the book YOU ON A DIET and a pedometer. That was what they gave me to follow when I left the DR OZ show and I got the diet and the steps down pat but that was not enough. It didn't handle the emotional component of weight loss. There were times I was too tired to exercise but my e-coach was a true enforcer who accepted no excuses. There were times I felt isolated as there were some coworkers who were jealous over my success. This drove me to start a program with the YOUdocs called the Real Age Wellness Series. I was able to teach and coach others as my e-coach had coached me. This gave me the encouragement I needed to keep going and not feel isolated from those around me who couldn't face their own health issues so my success made them uncomfortable. I was able to get help from my spouse as well. We learned to grocery shop and cook together and make it fun. We made dining out and vacationing healthy a challenge and made it work. Through all of this the message was strong and clear. No man is an island and we all need help. Find a helpful family member, diet buddy or support group. Rearrange your life to surround yourself with good role models and mentors. Celebrate your successes.

The short answer to the question is that you really just have to ask - people are willing to help but you have to tell people that you want to get healthy. When I started Weight Watchers I did it with my best friend. Instantly I had my own support system between my husband and my friend. I also got to know the people in my meeting group to rely on them for assistance. I also started reading healthy living blogs and following healthy living bloggers on Twitter to get even more inspiration. It's been an amazing feeling knowing that I have people world wide to support me.

Continue Learning about Motivation and Weight Loss

How to Motivate Yourself for Weight Loss Success
When David Bowie penned Changes, he was commenting on how challenging change can be. And if you’re like most folks, you too have a hard time making ch...
How should I reward myself for weight loss success?
Manuel VillacortaManuel Villacorta
I believe it's very important to reward yourself when you're succeeding in a weight loss program -- ...
How can I stay motivated to keep weight off?
Abby EllinAbby Ellin
What I heard people saying over and over is that they keep a vivid picture in their minds of wha...
High Performance Health in Everyday Life