As a Sharecare Transformer, how did you get social support for weight loss?

The short answer to the question is that you really just have to ask - people are willing to help but you have to tell people that you want to get healthy. When I started Weight Watchers I did it with my best friend. Instantly I had my own support system between my husband and my friend. I also got to know the people in my meeting group to rely on them for assistance. I also started reading healthy living blogs and following healthy living bloggers on Twitter to get even more inspiration. It's been an amazing feeling knowing that I have people world wide to support me.

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing

I transformed my life 2 years ago on the DR OZ show after I faced the truth tube. I was 4 foot 10 inches and 216 pounds with a waist size of 45 inches. My blood pressure was 165/110 and I had become prediabetic as well. I decided I could no longer take good care of my patients if I didn’t take care of myself. I learned to put myself first when it came to nutrition, stress management and sleep. To do this I had to have a lot of help. I had a great e-coach who read my daily food and exercise diary and made suggestions along the way. I picked several diet buddies to share recipes, grocery shopping tips, snack ideas and exercise hints along the way. As I began to get healthier I had more and more patients and coworkers ask me how I did it. I started by telling them that anyone could do it with the book YOU ON A DIET and a pedometer. That was what they gave me to follow when I left the DR OZ show and I got the diet and the steps down pat but that was not enough. It didn't handle the emotional component of weight loss. There were times I was too tired to exercise but my e-coach was a true enforcer who accepted no excuses. There were times I felt isolated as there were some coworkers who were jealous over my success. This drove me to start a program with the YOUdocs called the Real Age Wellness Series. I was able to teach and coach others as my e-coach had coached me. This gave me the encouragement I needed to keep going and not feel isolated from those around me who couldn't face their own health issues so my success made them uncomfortable. I was able to get help from my spouse as well. We learned to grocery shop and cook together and make it fun. We made dining out and vacationing healthy a challenge and made it work. Through all of this the message was strong and clear. No man is an island and we all need help. Find a helpful family member, diet buddy or support group. Rearrange your life to surround yourself with good role models and mentors. Celebrate your successes.

Continue Learning about Motivation and Weight Loss

3 Mindset Shifts That Boost Weight Loss
3 Mindset Shifts That Boost Weight Loss
Your brain can be your ally or foe when it comes to losing weight. Don’t let negative thinking prevent you from shedding those unwanted pounds. Tori C...
How can I stay consistently motivated to lose weight?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Visualize your weight loss goal several times a day, exactly what your life and relationships will...
How can I motivate myself to lose weight?
Jeremiah Forster, NASM Elite TrainerJeremiah Forster, NASM Elite Trainer
One thing I always ask my clients is "What is the best method for you to be motivated?" They will...
How Can I Stay On the Right Track If I Am Obese?