What can make me feel better when I have motion sickness?

People who experience vomiting as a symptom of motion sickness need to be careful not to become dehydrated, which can cause a loss of electrolytes. Electrolytes are minerals necessary for the regulation of heartbeat and blood pressure. Drinking sports drinks helps to restore the body's fluid and electrolyte balance. In severe cases of vomiting and dehydration, intravenous fluid/electrolyte replacement can help restore this balance.

If you're feeling nauseated, try sipping a clear carbonated beverage (such as lemon/lime soda or ginger ale) or nibbling on some dry crackers to help settle your stomach. If you can, get some fresh air by going up on the deck of a ship or cracking open your car window.

Focus your eyes on far away and stationary objects, such as the horizon. If that's not possible, try sitting still with your eyes closed and breathing deeply. Keep your head still and try not to move. Also, spending some time doing relaxation or deep breathing exercises or practicing some other calming behaviors may help to manage your symptoms.

Finally, get plenty of rest during your travels, especially if they are extended. Motion sickness often produces feelings of lethargy and sleepiness. These feelings may linger even once nausea from a severe bout of motion sickness dissipates.

Generally, nausea, dizziness and vomiting are difficult to alleviate once symptoms have begun, so the best treatment for motion sickness is prevention.

Continue Learning about Motion Sickness

What causes motion sickness?
The brain relies on information from multiple body systems to balance itself and establish equil...
What are some home remedies for motion sickness?
Early research indicates that the following non-medication alternative therapies may be helpful ...
What are the symptoms of motion sickness?
The most common symptoms of motion sickness include dizziness, nausea, and vomiting. People suff...
What can I do to prevent or minimize motion sickness?
Once motion sickness symptoms have set in, it's much harder to regain equilibrium. The best plan...