What are common triggers of motion sickness?

Motion sickness may be provoked by a variety of triggers, the most common of which is travel. Travel by ship or boat is the form of transportation most likely to make people feel sick, followed by plane, car and train travel.

Any kind of movement -- real or perceived -- may trigger motion sickness. The motion of amusement park and roller coaster rides, swings, jet skis, surfing, elevators and escalators may make some people's stomachs sensitive. Motion sickness can even be experienced while sitting still, such as while using computer flight simulators or other virtual-reality games.

Simply anticipating an event that produced motion sickness symptoms in the past may be enough to make a person start to feel sick.

Continue Learning about Motion Sickness

How can I stop my motion sickness?
Common symptoms of motion sickness are nausea and dizziness. In this video, Dr. Oz gives some he...
What are some home remedies for motion sickness?
Early research indicates that the following non-medication alternative therapies may be helpful ...
How should I choose a medication for motion sickness?
A number of over-the-counter and prescription medications are used to help prevent motion sickne...
What is motion sickness?
Motion sickness, also called seasickness or carsickness, is the general, overall feeling of illn...